2016 Endangered Building #9 – Cols Railway Power & Light

ENDANGERED BUILDING # 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13


9. Columbus Railway Power & Light (1915)
Location: 838 Cleveland Avenue Columbus, OH 43201
Owner: Carl Woodford


cols rail lightColumbus Railway Power and Light Company Building was built in 1915, just as the neighborhood of Milo Grogan was being incorporated into the City of Columbus. Located at the intersection that once was the site of the Columbus Central Street Railway Car Depot and Power House, the remaining building is a two-story brick structure with steep hipped roof, an octagonal tower, and round-arched windows. Columbus has had a streetcar system since 1863. Streetcars were horse drawn until 1892. Columbus Railway Power and Light Company became the Columbus Transit Company and is known today as COTA. Privately owned, the building never fails to attract attention from those who wonder why it has not been restored.


Please donate to support a design charette that will seek creative re-use and help determine the “what’s next” for our endangered buildings. Any amount is welcome, thank you!