2020 Most Endangered Sites
Holy Family School
Year Built: 1913
Address: 57 S. Grubb Street, Columbus, OH 43215
Original Building Use: School
Owner: Catholic Diocese of Columbus
Holy Family School was about to open in 1913 when the Great Flood overwhelmed Franklinton and the surrounding area. The basement flooded but the school provided refuge for many from lower ground. The school was designed in a Romanesque Revival style with ornamental parapets. The school was built to serve the Holy Family Parish on W. Broad Street. An addition to accommodate growing enrollment was completed in the 1930s. Holy Family School closed in the 1960s – the fortress-like building survived the construction of State Route 315 at its front door, but the school did not. The building now houses the Holy Family Soup Kitchen & Food Pantry in the basement and the Jubilee Museum that is temporarily closed. The active Soup Kitchen serves up to 300 in need daily.
Why is this site endangered?
Development activity in Franklinton puts pressure on this site that is adjacent to several vacant parcels.